Agency Wars III names its fighters
Agency Wars announced today the 24 fighters who will square off in the ring on Dec. 5 for the third annual industry boxing event.
Conceived by Brandworks creative director Michael Clancy in 2010, Agency Wars challenges media and advertising professionals to three rounds in the ring against a professional (and weight class) peer.
This year’s fight card, which pits two teams (red vs. blue) of men and women against each other, breaks down like this:
• Karla Stuewe (Kijiji) vs. Veann Leps (JWT)
• Christina Mirabelli (Mindshare) vs. Jennifer Watts (Brandworks)
• Alyssa Belova (Teehan & Lax) vs. Ruth Cagara (Dentsu Bos)
• Baylie Langelier (PHD Canada) vs. Shahla Eghbal (Carat Canada)
• Jenny Kim (Innocean Canada) vs. Rehana Virani (Brightworks)
• Melyssa Wright (PHD Canada) vs. Andrea Agopian (Grip Limited)
• Jason Kan (Teehan & Lax) vs. Scott Morris (Mindshare)
• Brent Watson (OBox Media) vs. Mike DeCandido (JWT)
• Ben Lawrence (PHD Canada) vs. Mo Elabi (JSA)
• Steven Lau (Reprise Media) vs. Shane Holmes (Grip Limited)
• Greg Boychuk (BBDO) vs. Andrew Gray (OMD)
• Mike Thoang (Traffik Group) vs. Reed Sachaloff (Brightworks)
Three alternates have also been named to step in for anyone who can’t compete in the big event: Ralf Floro from JWT, Kris Roberts from Dentsu Bos and Narine Artinian from Rethink.
As in years’ passed, the event will be held at Toronto’s Arcadian Court. It’s a fundraiser for Ronald McDonald House and the National Advertising Benevolent Society, which acts as a support system for professionals in the ad industry.
Footage from the event will also be aired on Agency War’s broadcast partner Channel Zero’s Fight Network as a two-hour special.
Agency Wars consultant Kristina Ejem said the 24 boxers competing in this year’s event were chosen from 50 applicants and passed a fitness test overseen by the group’s coaches and trainers, including former Olympian Chris Johnson and Jason Fisher, who trained NBA star Steve Nash.
Before making the cut, Ejem said the boxers had to prove they were fit enough to survive the training regimen consisting of conditioning training, lessons in boxing technique and a nutrition program. “Because it’s a 12 week fast-track boxing program, we need people who are already in shape,” Ejem said. “It’s an amazing challenge, psychically and mentally. It’s the whole nine yards.”
Ejem, an event planner at K*JEM Productions and founder of Girls Just Wanna Box, has put on similar events for the legal and banking industries.
Ejem said past Agency Wars participants embraced the boxing schtick through their choice of entrance music and boxing persona. Winners from last year’s event include Bensimon Byrne’s Brianna ‘Badass’ Marshall, PHD’s Scott ‘Hot Guns’ Henderson and Mindshare’s Courtney ‘The Crusher’ Cameron.
Marketing is this year’s Agency Wars media partner.
This story can be found at: http://marketingmag.ca/advertising/agency-wars-iii-names-its-fighters-62298.
Copyright © 1996-2022 Brunico Communications Ltd. All Rights Reserved.