Eight different agencies made the list with only John St. getting two different nominations: once in the Private Screens & Events category for its self-promotional “Jane St.” produced with Soft Citizen Toronto, Aircastle Production Toronto and Relish Editing Toronto; and again in Viral Film for “#CoverTheAthlete,” working with Soft Citizen Toronto, Aircastle Production Toronto and Relish Editing Toronto.
Joining John St. on the list are (scroll down to see some of the contending work):
- Zulu Alpha Kilo for the Cineplex spot “Lily & the Snowman” in the Entertainment & Leisure category.
- In the Corporate Image & Sponsorships category, Grey Canada was listed for Special Olympics’ “600 Pounds.” Untitled Films Toronto was listed as the production partner.
- “Big Game Ad Review with T.J. Miller: A Perfectly Unfiltered Pairing” for AB InBev’s Shock Top brand from Anomaly Toronto working with Anonymous Content Culver City and School Editing Toronto. The nomination is in Food & Drinks.
- “The Real 10” for AAUW by Rethink Toronto in Public Sector & Awareness Messages.
- “Just Another Day” for Sick Kids by J. Walter Thompson in Charities & Appeals.
- In Fiction Film Series, DDB Vancouver’s ”Snack Time Case Study” for Milk West was shortlisted, with Wave Productions Vancouver and Yeti Farm Creative of Kelowna included as production partners.
- Publicis Toronto’s “Preroll Petitions” made the list in the Use of Online Film category.
And while it won’t go down as a Canadian win, Alter Ego Toronto and Saints Editorial Toronto were both shortlisted as production partners for BETC Paris’ “I Have Seen” for Gant.
The nine Canadian nominations this year are down from 17 last year. In all, the competition saw 2,801 submissions this year (down from 3,070) a year ago, and 247 made the shortlist. The Film jury has a Canadian representative, Nancy Crimi-Lamanna, vice-president, creative director at FCB Toronto.
Zulu Alpha Kilo—Lily & The Snowman
Anomaly Toronto—Unfiltered Big Game Ad Review
Want the latest news and winners from the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity? Here’s how: