The 60th annual Art and Design Club of Canada Awards showed creativity is alive and well across Canada, as agencies from coast to coast took home gold trophies last week.
Vancouver’s Rethink Communications took home five gold awards as did DDB Canada between its Toronto and Vancouver offices and BBDO Toronto alongside its digital offshoot Proximity Canada (see full gold winners list below).
Other multiple gold winners included TBWAVancouver, DDB Canada, John St., Leo Burnett, and Zulu Alpha Kilo.
The only gold in the student competition went to Loretta Lau of the Ontario College of Art & Design for her Porter Airlines print concept.
Overall, more than 300 awards were handed out in 11 major categories.
“We were overwhelmed with the quality and creativity of this year’s submissions,” said Brian Howlett, president of the ADCC, in a statement. “Despite challenging economic conditions, the Canadian advertising and design industry continues to innovate and push into new territories. Amazing things happen when talent, art and business intersect.”
The awards gala was held at the MacMillan Theatre at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto.
FULL GOLD WINNERS’ LIST
• John St. for The Wiserhood campaign for Corby Distilleries
• TBWAVancouver for its “Break and Enter/Structure Fire/Suspicious Person” radio public service campaign for E-COM-9-1-1
• BBDO Toronto for its “Muffin Man” animation spot for the Royal Bank of Canada, and “Battle In A Bag,” which won for TV and for cinema, for Frito Lay Canada
• Target Cinematography for the “Find Yourself Here” campaign for Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism
• Leo Burnett Toronto for its “Pee Pee” TV spot for Procter & Gamble
• Doug Agency for the “Scooter” TV spot for Canadian Film Centre
• DDB Vancouver for its “Chase” TV spot for Midas
• Cossette for its “Karate Chop/Monkeys/Robot Friend” TV campaign and “Robot Friend” TV spot for General Mills Canada
• Rethink for the “Kama Sutra/Scrapbooking/Mt. Everest” TV campaign for The Alberta Library
• John St. for its “Help Child Soldiers” TV spot for War Child Canada
• Grey Canada for “Cheddar” for Procter & Gamble
• Rethink for “Treadmill/Boxing/Wheelchair Basketball” for the BC Hall of Fame; “Paris/Tom/Amy” for Dose.ca; and the “Candy Floss/Caramel Apple/Snow Cone” campaign and “Caramel Apple” single for Playland
• DDB Vancouver for “Carpet/Bars/Clock” and “Carpet” single for Vancouver Convention Centre
• Juniper Park for “Rubber Ducky” for the Canadian Red Cross and “Hummingbird/Shears/Spade” for Eini & Co.
• Don Dixon Film + Photography for “Purell Toilet Subway” for Purell
• DDB Toronto for “Brian/David/Kim” and “Brian” single for Earth Day Canada
• Leo Burnett for “Share Our Billboard Campaign” for James Ready
• Lowe Roche for “600 Years/Napoleon/Obsession” for InBev
• BBDO Toronto for “Ice” for Pepsi QTG-Canada
Advertising Innovative/Non Traditional
• Zulu Alpha Kilo for its “Thinking Inside the Box” event
• Zig for the “We Need To Talk” campaign for Astral Media
• Proximity Canada for “The Alka-Seltzer Great American Road Trip” website and “The Alka-Seltzer Great American Road Trip–BBQ Song/Cheese Rap/World’s Worst Commercial” viral marketing for Bayer Consumer Care
• Arc Worldwide/Leo Burnett for the “Supercrazyalive” website for Coca-Cola Canada
• Grip Ltd. for its “Kokanee Ranger Live or Die Personalized Invitation” for Labatt Breweries of Canada
• The Vacuum for its “The Watchmen: 6 Minutes To Midnight Interactive Trailer” for Warner Bros.
• Zulu Alpha Kilo for its self-promotional “Think” website
Michael O’Reilly Copywriting Award
• Grey Canada for its “Barbell” print ad for Special Olympics Canada
• TBWAVancouver for the “The Overanalyzing The Film People/The Not Really Into Foreign Films People/The Seat-Saving People” TV ads for Vancouver International Film Festival
• LG2 for “Maison Théâtre,” Complete Design Program
• Nolin BBDO for “Milk-So Much To Love Mobile Store,” Environmental Design
• Clean for “The Lakeview,” Graphic Design Miscellaneous